Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Deer Lake

   
  Here in Northern Minnesota, we're blessed with clear water and great sunsets. One of those clearest of lakes is Deer Lake. On certain days, you can watch the fish swimming on the bottom of the lake in sixty feet of water. Some of them are true giants.
  On one very memorable day, I was a little too intent on fishing and didn't see an approaching storm. By the time I saw it, there was nothing I could do. The wind was strong and my small boat was in trouble right away. I started the engine and pointed the bow into the wind. The waves were breaking over the bow and I was being pushed onto a rocky point. Visibility was next to nothing.
   In the howling wind, I heard a voice. At first I thought it was God telling me the end was near. Then I heard it again. There was a man on the shore waving to me. I could barely see him. He waded in and helped me get the boat pulled up on shore. In the rain and wind of a Deer Lake storm, this gentleman waved at me to follow him and I did. Ahead I could see the lights of his small log cabin. We went inside and slammed the door, leaving the tempest behind us.
   "Here, take this towel and dry off some." he said. "In the bathroom there's a bathrobe. You need to get out of those wet clothes."
   I did as told and hung the wet clothes in front of the fireplace. He had a cup of hot coffee waiting for me. My shivering quit in a short time and we talked for quite a while. His name was Dick, the famous muskie hunter of Deer Lake. 
   Dick and I became close friends. He's gone now but I'm left with many good memories.       
   You can find the EBook Kindle edition of this book, "To Waltz with a White Horse" at  Amazon.com and at www.peaceriverbooks.comThe Peace River Books blog is updated each day. 
   Stop in once in a while. I'll try to write something new and informative about my book To Waltz with a White Horse.
Good Reading,
Ron
Cover design and formatting by COVERSAREUS.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment